This 14-karat rose gold casting grain produces a malleable finished metal with a full red color that shows its best on textured finishes such as satin, florentine or bright cut.
The grain’s high copper content gives its rose color but also means that it firescales easily. Flux well, use a reducing flame or inert atmosphere, and pickle to remove the firescale.
Sold by the pennyweight (dwt.), minimum purchase is 0.2 dwt.
Any casting method.
Casting and Cleaning
In general, your casting temperature should be 100˚F (37.7˚C) above the liquidus point (somewhat hotter if the castings are intricate). Use a small amount of high-quality flux when melting with an open flame. We recommend Matt’s Casting Flux™. For further cleaning, mechanical means are recommended.
If you plan to re-use gold castings, remove the copper oxides from the surface in a pickling solution or by mechanical means. We recommend a minimum 1:1 ratio of new grain to used gold. All re-used gold should be clean and free of debris.
All ingredients are kept in an oxygen-reduced atmosphere during the melting and pouring process to ensure optimum deoxidation.
• Induction melting is not recommended for this grain.
• Casting temperatures are approximate; adjust for your particular alloy and application.
• Due to the manufacturing process of casting grain, the grain will vary in shape and size.
• For more information regarding the use or composition of this material, please refer to the reference sheet provided below.
• Customers within the European Union: Please be aware that all pink gold materials sold by Rio Grande are in compliance with EU regulation EN1811:2011+A1:2015.