Intended for decorative frames and accent work, this dead-soft sterling silver half-bead wire offers an attractive beaded appearance. The slenderness of the wire between beads makes this wire suitable only for applications that do not subject the wire to ongoing stress. Dead soft wire is easy to bend, shape and hammer; it is an ideal starting point for forming, shaping and wire-wrapping. Keep in mind that hardness is changeable (by annealing or heat-hardening) and is relative among metal types (each temper will feel and handle differently from one metal to another). When finishing your pieces, also keep in mind that the harder the metal is, the brighter a finish it will take.
18-gauge wire is useful for clasps, jump rings, cuff bracelets, narrow-shank rings, neck rings. As you know, jewelry wire has as many uses as there are jewelers and designers who use it to achieve their vision; these suggested uses simply represent some of the more common applications of this metal weight.
This sterling silver wire is packaged in coils and can be cut to any length that satisfies the system minimum. Orders must weigh at least 0.01 ozt.; if you click 'Add to Cart' for a quantity less than this, the cart will offer a prompt to let you know what the minimum for this item is.
- Country of origin : United States
- Metal type : Sterling silver
- Purity : .925
- Hardness : Dead-soft
- Form : Wire
- Shape : Bead
- Dimensions : .051" (1.30mm)
- Gauge : 16 ga.
- Length per weight : 20.00 ft./ozt. (609.60 cm/ozt.)
- Weight per length : 0.050 ozt./ft. (0.002 ozt./cm)
• Due to the manufacturing method used in production, sizes are approximate. The connecting metal between beads on this wire is substantial.
• If you order this wire coiled, be aware that its maximum coil size is 10 ozt.; we will distribute orders larger than 10 ozt. onto as many 10-ozt. coils as necessary plus a smaller coil with any remainder (for example, if you order 24 ozts. of wire, you will receive two 10-ozt. coils and one 4-ozt. coil).
• Be aware that fine-gauge wire that is normally spooled may simply be wrapped and bagged, at our discretion, when ordered in lengths less than 5 ft.
• We strive to measure quantities ordered as closely as possible; however, due to manufacturing tolerances at the mill, please allow for a ±10% variance when ordering.
• IMPORTANT: Sterling silver is an alloy containing metals that react with chemicals found in air and produce tarnish; high moisture levels, exposure to sunlight and contaminants such as salt water increase this reaction. Take steps to protect your sterling silver by keeping it in airtight packages, use tarnish-resistant products (such as tarnish tabs or strips) that absorb harmful chemicals, and store metals in a cool, dry place. Most tarnish is easily removed by polishing with a mild abrasive or soaking in an anti-tarnish solution.
• A 15% restocking fee applies to returns of custom cut-to-order metals.
2020-2021 Tools and Equipment Catalog p. 792