This lead-filled rawhide mallet is made of the highest grade water buffalo-hide, and is excellent for forming, bending and flattening metal. The lead center gives you more leverage and increased striking power. The mallet features top-quality construction, using screws rather than nails or staples to secure the rawhide roll. The handle is made from top-grade hickory.
Rawhide mallets are glued and sealed in the factory, leaving them hardened from the process so that a new mallet easily mars metal workpieces. To get the best results from your rawhide mallet, we recommend that you break in the head before using it on your metal.
• All rawhide mallet heads should be broken in (conditioned and softened) before using them on metal workpieces. New mallets clearly show the spiral of the leather roll; on a well broken-on mallet, this spiral is softened and blurred, often displaying frayed edges. To condition a new mallet:
1) Soak your mallet head in water for two hours.
2) After soaking, dry off the head by squeezing it with a clean towel or paper towels.
3) Hammer the mallet against a flat, hard surface such as concrete, stone or brick. This softens and conditions the leather, blurring of the edges of the new leather.
• PROP 65 WARNING: This item contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer or other reproductive harm.