This "Beach Pebbles" double-sided patterned mokume gane sheet is made with 31 alternating layers of sterling silver, 14-karat palladium white gold and 14-karat red gold. The gold layers are half the thickness of the silver layers and are arranged in the following order: sterling silver, 14K red, sterling silver, 14K palladium white—the order repeats seven times, then the last three layers are sterling silver, 14K palladium white, sterling silver. The sheet presents a fine-grained pattern that resembles beach pebbles. The metal content percentages may vary somewhat in the patterned sheet (and in each finished item you create) due to the swirling mokume gane effect. The sheet is highly malleable and forms beautifully. Double-sided sheets provide the advantage of displaying their pattern throughout each sheet even if some of the thickness is removed—for example, the pattern will be visible on both the inside and outside of rings made with the sheet.
This mokume gane sheet can be formed by cold-forming, sawing, raising and die striking. It work-hardens a bit faster that sterling silver and is stronger that sterling silver.
Created by Phil Baldwin of Shining Wave Metals, this mokume gane sheet combines the high quality of Shining Wave products with the versatility of sterling silver.
This sheet is stocked in 3" x 12" pieces; due to the cutting capabilities of the shear, minimum purchase is 1" x 1/2".
• Composition by weight: 14K red gold, 20%; 14K palladium white gold, 18%; sterling silver, 62%
• Melting point: 1,410°F (765°C)
• The sheet is delivered un-patinaed and will have the lighter color shown here; the darker color shown in the photograph is an example of the sheet after the application of a darkening patina.
• IMPORTANT: Do NOT hot-work this metal; doing so will void the warranty.
• We strive to measure quantities ordered as closely as possible; however, due to manufacturing tolerances at the mill, please allow for a ±10% variance when ordering.