September 22-25, 2020; 9am–5pm
Canceled, but we'll be back!
THIS CLASS IS NOW FULL-This class has reached its capacity and is not currently available. You may add yourself to the waiting list for this item by registering.
If the item becomes available, it will be assigned to those on the waiting list on a first-in / first-out basis. If you are placed in this class, you will receive a notification e mail and will need to contact us to confirm your seat.
Note: It is required that you know how to solder with a torch. Previous Russian filigree experience is not required and students who do have Russian filigree experience may focus on more complex projects.
Take open-backed, Russian filigree (filigrana) to another dimension in this very special workshop offered only at Rio Grande. Go from the basics of traditional filigree fabrication to advanced, contemporary, sculptural shapes while making several pieces of jewelry.
Here's what you'll learn in this four-day class!
NOTE: Victoria and Rio Grande will provide all the tools, equipment, and materials for use in the class. An extensive color handout provided during the class offers further information you can pursue after the class to serve your particular work.
- Expert techniques for successfully fabricating filigree in any shape.
- How to make your own perfectly milled and twisted filigree wire
- Using different types of frame wire to create distinct looks.
- How to form elegant filler wires in different shapes.
- Solder effectively with powdered solder to retain the elegant detail of the wirework.
- How to do filigree with silver and different alloys of gold, as well as how to combine them within the same piece.
- Use a variety of tools for forming filigree and the important safety precautions needed.
- Explore the possibilities of sculpting and forming filigree with both traditional soldering and innovative micro-welding to assemble finished filigree components around set stones.
- Develop your own voice in this technique. No artistic or design background needed.
What you'll take home with you:
- The pieces you create in class.
- • A wealth of knowledge and the spark to take your jewelry making and soldering in new and exciting directions. After this class, take on more fabrication classes!
Find out more about Russian Filigree by visiting Victoria’s website at victorialansford.com.
Enjoy a video describing the powdered solder used in these processes: Russian Filigree Solder.