A wicked week of wax! Work with Kate Wolf in this 5-day intensive class to learn what an amazing material wax is when it comes to jewelry design.
Wax is a more amazing material than you may ever thought it to be. In this five-day, hands-on workshop, explore with Kate the innovative approaches to working with wax, to carving wax with an emphasis on developing your confidence and creativity. Explore how to transform scribbles into resolved designs and then into ready-to-use layouts. With Kate's shared expertise, and working with Wolf Milling Wax™, you'll discover a whole new world of wax. Watch live, highly magnified demonstrations of many wax techniques. Students can expect to finish a couple of projects and leave with a few more pieces in process. All skill levels welcome.
Here's what you'll learn in this five-day workshop! NOTE: We provide all the tools and equipment for use in the workshop.
• Work on carving rings, bezels and partial bezels for both cabochon-cut and faceted stones.
• Contour and fit shadow bands, hollow forms and mirror images.
• Acquire and practice flame techniques.
• Create textures and faux granulation.
• Construct pierced work.
• Get familiar with hollowing, finishing and repairing techniques.
•Make tools to suit your design needs and more.
• Rapidly and accurately remove excess material using the flex shaft for affordable lathe and milling processes.
• Make a ring from a ring tube, using affordable flex shaft lathe techniques.
What you'll take home with you:
• The wax designs you make in class and an incredible depth of skill to take back to your studio and put to use, continuing to explore these techniques.
• A wealth of knowledge and the spark to raise your jewelry-making skills.
After this class, we recommend you move on to a basic casting class, learning to cast your great new wax carvings!