Midas® 18K yellow gold provides an attractive rich yellow finish. Working within a tighter range of voltage gives more satisfactory results with this solution. Operating the solution at higher temperatures, increasing the voltage and agitating the workpiece vigorously will cause this solution to plate a color closer to 24KY gold.
This solution is a concentrate. Mix the entire contents of the bottle with one pint of distilled or deionized water to make one quart of solution.
1. Thoroughly clean your workpiece with electrocleaner and an acid dip before immersing it into plating solution.
2. Pour amount of solution needed in Pyrex® or stainless steel beaker.
3. Heat the solution to between 110°F and 130°F. Higher temperatures will result in colors closer to 24KY. Do not exceed 130°F.
4. Attach a stainless steel, platinized titanium or .999 fine pure gold anode to the positive (+) lead and immerse in solution. If a stainless steel beaker is used, attach positive lead to lip of beaker.
5. Turn on rectifier and operate at 2 to 4 volts.
6. Attach handling wire to the negative (–) lead, immerse workpiece and agitate.
7. Time in solution: 10 to 30 seconds or until desired coverage is achieved.
8. Water rinse, acid dip and water rinse again.
9. When plating job is completed, the solution in the beaker can be returned to the storage bottle if it has not been contaminated.