Midas liver of sulfur produces a durable black finish on silver when applied following these instructions. To work properly, either the silver or the liver of sulfur solution must be hot, but not boiling.
Mixing Liver of Sulfur
Dry chunks: Add a pea-sized piece of solid liver of sulfur to a pint of hot (not boiling) water. Stir until the chunk is completely dissolved. The strength of the solution can be changed by adding more water to the solution.
Gel: Stir gel well before using. Mix 1 teaspoon of gel to 12 ounces of hot (not boiling) water. The strength of the solution can be changed by adding more water to the solution.
Liquid: The liquid solution is premixed and is ready to use.
Applying Liver of Sulfur
1. Immerse the workpiece into the solution for 30 seconds – 2 minutes. The solution can also be painted onto the workpiece. Do not leave the work piece in the solution for an extended period of time. This will cause the solution to build up and possibly flake off.
2. Rinse in cold water.
3. For added contrast, buff the high points of the work piece with fine-grit sand paper, buffing wheel or buffing cloth.
4. Seal the finish with clear acrylic lacquer, if desired.
Keep out of reach of children. Flammable solid; contains sulfurated potash. Offensive odor can cause nausea, and may cause respiratory irritation. Use in a well ventilated area. Keep away from sparks and flames.
INHALATION: Using a respirator that protects from fumes (such as item 113-393) is recommended. If inhaled, remove victim to fresh air.
EYE CONTACT: May cause eye irritation. Wear eye protection. If contact with eyes occurs, rinse eyes thoroughly with water, holding lids open.
INGESTION: Although this product is non-toxic, do not ingest.