Bonny Doon Graduated Silhouette Die Plate #5
Item Number: 1104875
Form a variety of component shapes for your designs--consistently and accurately--with steel silhouette die plates. This plate features graduated shapes--great for creating graduated beads or necklace and bracelet forms. Use with a urethane container to focus all the force into the die plate for accurate volume shapes. Use a 60d urethane for more volume form and less detail; use a 95d urethane for more detail and less volume form. A kit including a urethane container with a stainless steel thumbscrew, a steel pusher, combination pattern die plates #1 and #3 and three urethanes (60, 80, 95d) is also available.
Silhouette dimensions (L-R):
1.304"L x .950"W (33.1 x 24.1mm)
1.169"L x .851"W (29.7 x 21.6mm)
1.102"L x .803"W (28 x 20.4mm)
.960"L x .699"W (24.4 x 17.8mm)
.861"L x .627"W (21.9 x 15.9mm)
2013 Tools and Equipment Catalog p.166
How To Understand Terms Used In Hydraulic Metalforming
This glossary of terms common to hydraulic metalforming will give you a good foundation for working with metal in a hydraulic press. Understanding how to apply these terms to your equipment and processes with press forming metal will help you achieve repeatable quality results.
• ANTICLASTIC: Anticlastic forms feature opposing curvatures of the same surface (picture a saddle: the ends curve upward while the sides curve downward).
• SYNCLASTIC: Synclastic forms feature a matching curvature of their surfaces in all directions (picture a bowl: all sides curve upward and inward in the same manner).
• URETHANE: Urethane pads are the most useful item used in the hydraulic press. This incompressible material forces metal into every detail of your die or over every part of your form. The urethane offered by Bonny Doon is specially formulated for hydraulic forming applications. All varieties offer increased cut resistance and memory retention. Properly used, a pad can last 10 years or more.
• DUROMETER: Durometer measurements indicate the hardness of the urethane. Red (95d) is hardest, translucent ivory or orange (80d) is softer, and black or very light translucent yellow (60d) is softest.
• INTENSIFIERS: Intensifiers are small pieces of 80d urethane placed over areas of a die to build up the form. They are typically sandwiched between the metal and a urethane pad.
• PUSHER: Pushers are solid steel cylinders that force a punch or other tool into a contained urethane block to achieve a desired form.
• SPACER: Spacers take up excess space in the work area to reduce the travel distance required for the platens to begin applying pressure to the workpiece.