Higher quantity price breaks may be seen in the shopping cart.
*Priced per troy ounce
12/20 Yellow Gold-Filled Round Wire, 16-Ga., Dead Soft
Item Number: 101374
This gold-filled wire is packaged in coils and can be cut to any length you require.
Length per weight:
Weight per length:
2013 Gems and Findings & Display and Packaging Catalog p.814
Country of origin:
please note: Customers within the European Union: Please be aware that all yellow gold filled materials sold by Rio Grande are in compliance with EU regulation EN1811-2011.
How To Protect Your Gold-Filled Material
Handling your gold-filled properly is essential to maintaining its good looks and its bright finish. Made with a substantial layer of gold bonded to a base metal core, gold-filled requires some special care to keep the gold layer intact and unmarred for your designs.
If handled properly, gold-filled should require only buffing. If you cut it, be careful not to damage the gold layer, particularly on corners and edges.
Gold-filled stock should be stored in a dry place. Tarnishing elements act very slowly in the absence of moisture.
Use tissue paper between stock to protect it against scratches.
Use a clean flannel cloth while working on gold-filled material.
Maintaining the condition of your tools is important. Keep cutters sharp; bending tools should be smooth.
Use a firescale retardant such as Stop-Ox II™ when soldering.
Clean the metal thoroughly.
How To Prepare Dead-Soft Wire For Use
Before you begin designing with dead-soft wire, make sure the wire is as smooth and kink-free as possible. Here's how to prepare dead-soft wire for use to ensure a smoother result in your designs.
Pull your wire through a polishing cloth to smooth out the tiny kinks and wrinkles. Please Note: This process can also work-harden your wire, so easy does it!
If you are preparing three or four wires, pull each wire through once, then pull all of them through together once. They will flow in the same direction and will be much easier to sculpt.
How Gold-Filled Metals Are Made
Gold-filled, or gold overlay, is made by heat- and pressure-bonding a thin layer of 14K or 12K gold to a brass core. The "14/20" or "12/10" notation refers to the ratio of karat gold to brass core by weight and indicates the karat value of the gold. "14/20" gold-filled material is made with 14-karat gold and the gold represents 1/20th (or 5%) of the total weight of the material. You may occasionally see other notations, too; each will inform you about the material's make-up. For example, "14/40" gold-filled is composed of 14-karat gold that represents 1/40th (or 2.5%) of the weight of the material.
• Karat gold covers the brass surface, making it tarnish-resistant.
• The value of gold-filled is greater than gold-plated because gold-filled has an actual layer of karat gold, not just a microscopic film.
• All of Rio’s gold-filled products meet federal quality standards.
• Gold-filled jewelry is economical. Your customers enjoy the warm tones of gold at a fraction of the cost of pure gold.
• In 14/20 gold-filled, 5% of the total weight of the metal is 14-karat gold.
• In single-clad sheet, the gold layer is bonded to one side of the sheet of brass.
• In double-clad sheet, discs and other findings, the bonded gold is distributed to both sides of the brass (or base metal) sheet. In findings, the gold is distributed so as to cover all sides of the finding.
PLEASE NOTE: The weight of the gold will be the same percentage of the total weight of the sheet in either case; on the single-clad sheet, all the gold is bonded to one side and on the double-clad sheet, the gold is distributed so that half is bonded to one side and half to the other side.